- They all focused on one group of people and made them scapegoats for all of the countries problems.
- The persecutors saw themselves as the victims of previous injustices at the hands of the group they were now targeting: Nazis blaming Jews for the 'stab in the back' of 1918; Serbians blaming Muslims for the destruction of the medieval Serb kingdom; Hutus blaming Tutsis raised above them by colonial rulers.
- The victims were displayed as sub or even non human.
- There was a lot of propaganda and media involved.
|Rwandan refugee camp|
- The Rwandan genocide was much quicker than the others. 8000 people were killed on average every day.
- Rwanda didn't create camps for people to be held in.
- Rwanda used machetes to hack people to death whereas in the other genocides shooting was the main method.
- The Nazi's were the only ones to use gas chambers.
- In Serbia and Rwanda there were UN troops overseeing and trying to keep peace.
|A memorial to the victims of the Serbian genocide|
Source - Professor J. C. Williams